Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Video Review: "The Arena"


As a native of New York, I don't have many options in terms of backcountry terrain and powder.  It's called the "Ice Coast" for a reason.  When it has snows where I live, I always turn to urban riding.  Though some people don't like it, I think it is one of the most artistic aspects of the sport.  It's not just about the trick; it's about location, consequence, and environment.  When it comes to urban riding, Technine and the Finger on Da Trigger are always at the forefront.  The quality of riding in "The Arena" is fantastic; Jonah Owen, Derek Dennison, and especially Dylan Thompson have fantastic parts (check out his part on my blog if you haven't already).  I was definitely disappointed when I saw that Johnnie Paxson had hurt himself this year (they even show the fall that did it in the video) but despite this he manages to stomp some insane stunts.  Frankly, on top Derek Dennison's first jump (best of the entire video) I think Johnnie had the best  tricks in the entire video.  He managed to bag the ender for "Hard to Earn" last year and I think he may get it again next year if he doesn't hurt himself.  Even though the riding was good, the editing just couldn't keep up.  Frankly, MFM and F.O.D.T.'s films have always been a bit disappointing in that regard; I think Cole Taylor is good but for riding of that caliber, someone else could do a much better job.  The production effects were good but there was too much slow motion and filler (Dennison's part felt like it had only ten tricks).  In addition, you never get a feel for the crew dynamic which I think can be very interesting.  All in all, great riding but maybe not worth your buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment